Sign in to follow this  
rlowe84

Additional Waiver Run Sunday Morning

I think FFPC management should reconsider an additional Sunday morning waiver run.  We have ten bench spots to carry any position.  So, if a coach decided only to carry one defense and kicker that is on them going into Sunday. 

I can see some angry coaches Tuesday morning who lose by 1 point because a coach had the ability to add a replacement defense or kicker.  For example, a coach who drafted Helaire will be forced to start a lower level RB from his bench because there really isn’t much on the RB waiver wire.  His opponent could have KC defense or kicker who could potentially replace a zero with points off Sunday morning waiver run.  This coach will receive a huge advantage because they can pick up a defense or kicker to replace KC defense/kicker if the game gets canceled.    How fair is that to the Helaire owner?  Plus, we have 10 bench spots so maybe the coaches who are carrying 1 defense or kicker should reconsider their roster construction especially during these times.

Finally, I hope there’s something in the official rules allowing FFPC management to make a rule change like this once the season has started.

I have attorneys on my staff at my firm and will have them look into this rule change. I have to believe that they are more then a few attorneys in this league that will not let this rule change go unchallenged .  You can not change the rules of an official contest mid season.

I agree.  Everyone knew the rules going into the contest.  FFPC during the drafts and early in the season maintained that no waivers run would be added.  Now the rules are changed about a third of the way through the main portion of the season.  Everyone should email the FFPC and let them know that this does not instill confidence.  What happened to change their minds?  If you are moving waivers to later in the week, why wouldn't you maintain the same time slot that you have always maintained?  

FFPC has millions of dollars in play.  If they can change this rule, what other rules can they change without prior approval?  Could they decide that scoring needs to be adjusted due to COVID and change QB TD points from 4 to 6?  That's unlikely, but changing this rule - which is a major part of FFPC leagues as it is the ONLY way to pick up players - begs the question.

This gives an East Coast player a distinct advantage each and every week moving forward.  A West Coast player who has 50 teams cannot get up Sunday morning, see the late breaking news and then make adjustments to their waivers unless they want to get up at like 4am every Sunday the rest of the year.

This needs to be addressed, and perhaps the best way is for everyone who has a problem with it to post on these boards and contact the FFPC to let them know that a rule change of this nature partway through a contest is simply not fair to all.  If things are going to be unfair due to COVID, and you cannot make them fair to all, the rules should stay the same and everyone should plan accordingly.

I have contacted FFPC and was told by Alex that this change has been made and won't be reconsidered:

"There is no other solution other than what we have in place right now. Please remember we are dealing with 3000 FFPC leagues and 10's of thousands of owners so clearly it's not going to work perfectly for all but there can only be one rule for all."  and "FFPC team owners need time to set their lineups after waiver are processed so 10am ET was the latest we decided it can be to give everytime time. Some owners have 50-100+ teams."

It seems to me that if it is not going to work perfectly for all, and there can only be one rule for all, then it should default to the original rule that is in place governing the leagues at the time the contest was originated and at the time teams were paid for.

In years past they have not re-assigned players to a different position partway through the year even if they ended up moving to RB or WR, etc.  This is a similar situation, but with dramatically more consequences as some teams are given a weekly advantage due to time zone differences.  It's not out of the question that a game gets cancelled every week on Sunday morning - meaning it's possible that some players have the ability to adjust and maintain a full lineup, while others do not - and have to start partial lineups multiple weeks through the contest.

I know these boards are not used much, but anyone with issues I would urge to contact FFPC and let them know your concerns.  For me to post on these boards, I had to email Alex and have him approve my posting account - so if you are reading this and want to post, sign up and then email Alex so you can join the discussion.

I like playing with the FFPC, but they need to be held accountable in order to keep the integrity of their games intact for both them as well as the players.  With no oversight they have the ability to materially impact the results of their contests.  Today it's waiver rules they change, tomorrow who knows?