Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric Balkman

KJ Duke Wins 2013 FBPC Main Event

7 posts in this topic

After six months of agonizing lineup decisions, strategic free agent bidding and a whole lot of fun, the Fantasy Baseball Players Championship has crowned its first ever overall champion. That honor and a $50,000 grand prize goes to none another than KJ Duke for managing his Zefurs squad to the top of the standings. In a season that ended with the Rays defeating the Rangers in a tiebreaking 163rd game last night in Arlington, the Zefurs blueprint for success began in March. Drafting out of the #2 spot in the Roy Hobbs League, Duke built his team around some electric bats drafting Miguel Cabrera, Adrian Beltre, Ian Kinsler and Ian Desmond. After getting some top-of-the-line arms in Adam Wainwright, Jordan Zimmermann and R.A. Dickey, KJ had the makings of a great team. But hitting on some value late made his team dominant. Carlos Gomez (8th round), Chris Davis (10th round), Matt Harvey (11th round) and Jayson Werth (18th round) all outperformed their draft spots for the Zefurs in 2013. Congrats, KJ!

What a battle it was to try and finish in the money for the teams below the Zefurs. Clark Olson's Hell Bent For Leather edged out Greg Morgan and Perry Van Hook's Captain Morgan for second while Ryan Tollefson's Show Me The Money eeked out fourth place over Tytus Parsons' and Greg Headrick's Pine Tar Pros 3. Congrats to Tollefson and Morgan for getting two teams each to finish in the top-ten in the FBPC's inaugural year as well. Here's the final top-10:

1. Zefurs--KJ Duke: 1104.5

2. Hell Bent For Leather--Clark Olson: 1078.5

3. Captain Morgan--Gregory Morgan & Perry Van Hook: 1061.0

4. Show Me The Money--Ryan Tollefson: 1032.5

5. Pine Tar Pros 3--Tytus Parsons & Greg Headrick: 1030.0

6. Vandelay Industries--David Potts: 1022.0

7. Hitters--Kimra Schleicher: 1018.5

8. Show Me The Money--Ryan Tollefson: 1017.0

9. Pork Soda--Gregory Morgan & Dale Morgan: 1005.0

10. CC's Desperados--Shawn Childs: 981.5

Congratulations to KJ Duke and the rest of the prize winners! smile

Thank you for supporting us in the first year of the FBPC.

Hell yes!!!

Great Job Kevin! Cool seeing you win it here and Ken Norred won another contest!

The extremely hard grind of managing roto-baseball in a main event is paying off for those who put in the work!

Thanks guys! Looking forward to Dave and Alex sending me a big check instead of the other way around. smile Baseball is such a grind, managing football teams is almost like getting a break for a few months.