HEADBANGER1967

Dynasty Suggestions for 2016

99 posts in this topic

i like what we have, also like bottom 4 playing it out for 1.01--1.04,5/6 are gonna go for it if there smart.......

I think 4-6 get the shaft a bit.

I'd be in favor of a BYE for 2 lowest seeds and then total points the last 2 weeks. Give the bottom 2 seeds a points differential advantage like you do for the ME Championship round. This way all teams still have a shot, but you've given the bottom 2 teams 2 different advantages to win the 1.1 & 1.2.

menobrown and Fish like this

If you really wanted to "battle" it out on a level playing field, than add a handicap to the bottom field like you would in bowling leagues.

Finally do any of us really think that the Browns or the 49'ers would regularly beat the Buccaneers or the Saints or the Broncos or the Redskins in a loser's bracket playoff for the 1.01 pick?

Some great points here.

Let's face it...the "worst team in the league" will be an underdog in any competitive draft slot scenario.  This is DYNASTY FOOTBALL!!!  Injury woes are minimized by the IR and the ability to keep injured players until healed. You are allowed to trade anyone on your roster and can trade your future draft picks.

If you have all of those options and yet remain the worst team in the league for more than two years...I'd like to cordially invite you into my startup!  ;)

This is a "drop the mic" post!! 

If we make no changes at all, all complainers should be directed to this post.

I'd be in favor of a BYE for 2 lowest seeds and then total points the last 2 weeks. Give the bottom 2 seeds a points differential advantage like you do for the ME Championship round. This way all teams still have a shot, but you've given the bottom 2 teams 2 different advantages to win the 1.1 & 1.2.

Very interesting idea.  Northga touched on this as well.

Personally, I'm good with whatever Dave/FFPC decide upon.

SPORTSBETTINGMAN likes this

In my own personal opinion (not the FFPC's opinion), teams 4-6 (especially 5 and 6) do not deserve to get the #1 pick. They simply do not suck enough and are often just statistical variance away from making the playoffs.

In my own personal opinion (not the FFPC's opinion), teams 4-6 (especially 5 and 6) do not deserve to get the #1 pick. They simply do not suck enough and are often just statistical variance away from making the playoffs.

In my opinion, the worst possible dynasty season scenario is not making the playoffs and then having no chance at a top pick.

Talk about a worthless season.

For the six teams that miss out on the playoffs and thus miss any chance at earning money back, the focus instantly shifts to the draft slot playoff as a way of getting something positive out of a lost season.

I don't think I'd like being locked out of both scenarios by any rule that blocks the chance at a top pick.

The way the rules are currently set up, as well as the proposed idea of mirroring the draft slot playoffs, keeps the focus on EARNING via competition and thus rewards never tanking.  Only the bottom two teams get a little help.

menobrown likes this

In my opinion, the worst possible dynasty season scenario is not making the playoffs and then having no chance at a top pick.

For the six teams that miss out on the playoffs and thus miss any chance at earning money back, the focus instantly shifts to the draft slot playoff as a way of getting something positive out of a lost season.

I don't think I'd like being locked out of both scenarios by any rule that blocks the chance at a top pick.

I agree that it is better (and much more fun) for the individual owner of the 5 and 6 teams to have a shot at the top pick. It is definitely also worse for league parity (and league lifespan and so on) to permit that. The reason for the current set up is that we allow everyone to be a "big boy" and take responsibility for their team that could turn into a bad team due to their own poor management (or bad luck or whatever). 

By the way, I am not trying to set anyone up for any big change here, based on my "hot take". Like I said, it is just my personal opinion on it. I do get what Lance is saying and also do enjoy the private leagues I play in with that set up. Probably even more so than the leagues where the worst teams get the top picks.

Invictus. likes this

OK, coffee is good this morning...time to ramble.

What makes a bad owner?

1) Sells his soul for one season. (be it via purchasing an orphan or drafting like redraft (older players) and trading away all assets to cash right away.  These types often fail and bail.)

2) Is a poor judge of talent. (Involved in lopsided trades and rosters a bench full of waiver wire fodder.)

3) Never looks to trading as a way of improving team. (Cold rejections and never offers. Always has all of his future picks and nothing else.)

4) Never engages with league. The "silent postal worker." The one always at the bottom of the "last visited league" page each week.

What makes a bad season? (totally different)

1) Uncommonly bad luck re: injuries. Can reload the very next season after IR'd players return to form.

2) Bad luck in matchups.  Faces uncommon amount of big weeks from opponents and thus gets a low VP total.

3) Injuries to surrounding cast. QB injury (or lack of talent) ruins WR. (see Nuk) OL injuries ruin offensive flow of entire team.

4) Coaching changes can often alter the focus of an offense.

-------------

The "Bad Season" is just a temporary part of the game...happens to every owner eventually.

The "Bad Owner" is not someone I'd like to help in any way.  (Better to ban them once trend is established, or let the process of failure replace them.)

Invictus., Dave and House of Cards like this

I agree that it is better (and much more fun) for the individual owner of the 5 and 6 teams to have a shot at the top pick. It is definitely also worse for league parity (and league lifespan and so on) to permit that. The reason for the current set up is that we allow everyone to be a "big boy" and take responsibility for their team that could turn into a bad team due to their own poor management (or bad luck or whatever). 

By the way, I am not trying to set anyone up for any big change here, based on my "hot take". Like I said, it is just my personal opinion on it. I do get what Lance is saying and also do enjoy the private leagues I play in with that set up. Probably even more so than the leagues where the worst teams get the top picks.

That's why I suggested what I did. It gives the 5/6 "something" but they have to overcome odds to get there. It also gives 2 lowest seeds 2 different advantages (BYE & point advantage headed into 2 week playoff). :D

IMO what we do now works ok for draft picks. The part that bugs me is when people have traded away their draft pick so they don't own it and then they don't diligently set their lineup, impacting the new owner of that pick's chance at making it a higher pick. I think a lot of this goes on and only the really blatant people get called out.

That being said I don't know how to fix it, other than giving the owner of the first rd pick control of setting the starting lineup in the draft pick playoffs (not doing adds or drops but just setting the lineup)